Gum Disease Is Sneaky – Don’t Let It Take Over Your Mouth
Gum disease is not something to be taken lightly. It will rob you of your smile if left untreated, but Dr. Ki knows what the signs are and can help save your smile from this very sneaky disease. Call our dental office at 703-552-2530 to schedule your gum disease treatment Fairfax, VA area appointment.
The Threat of Gum Disease
Gum disease is the number one reason that adults lose permanent teeth. What makes that statistic even scarier is that more than half of adults in the United States have some form of gum disease. For adults over age 65, that number jumps to more than 70 percent. That is a whole lot of people who are walking around with a disease that can literally steal the teeth from your smile.
Now that you are sufficiently aware of what gum disease can take from you, what exactly is it? Gum disease is a bacterial infection of your gum tissue. While your gums always have bacteria present, gum disease happens when the level of bacteria is high enough that it begins to break down your gums and harm your dental structure. The early stage of gum disease is called gingivitis. Although all gum disease starts out as gingivitis, not all gingivitis progresses to the stage of full-blown gum disease.
Gum Disease Symptoms
Gum disease has some very subtle symptoms in the early stage (gingivitis). These symptoms are sometimes overlooked and not taken for what they truly are: warning signs that your gums and teeth are in danger. The early symptoms include:
- Red or Inflamed Gums – If your gums are red, puffy, or look “angry,” you are in the early stage of gum disease. This is when your body is trying to tell you that something is wrong, and you need to get in to see Dr. Ki as soon as you can.
- Bleeding After Brushing or Flossing – Some people believe bleeding is normal after brushing and flossing. Unless you are brushing or flossing your teeth in a rough manner, brushing and flossing should never result in your gums bleeding. This is a more obvious sign that you need to see Dr. Ki soon.
The further the disease is allowed to progress, the more easily the symptoms are to recognize, such as:
- Gum Recession – Now you have progressed to the stage that is doing real damage to your smile. One attractive aspect of smiles is a nice balance of pink gum to white teeth, but gum recession steals that balance and takes the stabilizing force of your gums with it.
- Loose or Shifting Teeth – As your gums recede, your teeth begin to move around. This can affect your bite and create loose teeth. If your permanent teeth are loose or shifting, you need to see Dr. Ki as soon as you can.
- Lost Teeth – One of the most devastating parts of this disease is that it can take your teeth if you don’t stop it soon enough. All you have to do is ignore the warnings and keep doing what you were doing all along: nothing. Dr. Ki can help you – all you need to do is give us a call.
Treat Gum Disease
Dr. Ki uses the scaling and root planing procedure to help her patients combat the effects of gum disease. Scaling will remove the bacteria-causing plaque from around and under your gumline. The root planing will smooth any rough spots on your exposed tooth roots. This takes away an area that plaque likes to latch onto, and it also prepares the area for renewed gum growth.
Not Your Children’s Braces! Adults can get straight, beautiful teeth in half the time. See how YOU can achieve a new smile in our FREE e-book.