Frequent Dental Questions
If you’re new to Laura Y. Ki, DDS, PC, you probably have a ton of questions about dentistry and our dental treatments. We are skilled in all aspects of general dentistry, and our staff is fluent in English, Spanish, and Korean.
Here are some common questions other patients have asked. Take a look – your answer may be right here.Dr. Laura Ki on continuing education
- Do I Need Braces If My Teeth Are Crooked?
- Does Teeth Whitening Work?
- What services does Dr. Ki offer?
- How often should I see Dr. Ki?
- Is flossing really important?
- Is it normal for my gums to bleed after brushing?
- What Can I Do About A Chipped Tooth?
- What is a dental bridge?
Q: Do I Need Braces If My Teeth Are Crooked??
Not anymore. Dr. Ki offers Invisalign clear aligners. This orthodontic treatment will straighten your teeth like braces but without the metal and wires. Invisalign uses a series of clear plastic trays like mouthguards. You wear them over your teeth, then in as little as one year, you have the straight, aligned smile you deserve. Because they’re made from clear plastic, Invisalign is almost invisible when worn. No metal, virtually invisible, and a straight smile — that’s why so many people choose Invisalign clear aligners.
Q: Does Teeth Whitening Work??
If you tried an over-the-counter teeth whitening kit, you may have noticed the results aren’t that good. That’s because the whitening agent is diluted enough to be sold without a prescription. If you truly want a dazzlingly white smile, call us to get an appointment for Zoom WhiteSpeed. This is professional-strength teeth whitening. Dr. Ki is well-trained to use this effectively and safely. Instead of struggling with hard-to-read instructions to get weak results, why not sit back and let Dr. Ki handle it?
Q: What services does Dr. Ki offer??
Laura Y. Ki, DDS, PC is a comprehensive dental service provider. She offers general, family, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry services to the Fairfax, VA community. Here are a few specifics regarding her services:
- General Dentistry – Regular dental exams and cleanings are the bedrock of any preventive dental plan. During your checkup, you will have X-rays, cavity detection, fluoride treatments, and (if needed) sealants applied to your teeth during your time with Dr. Ki.
- Family Dentistry – Teaching and reinforcing the proper dental habits a child should have is one of the most important things Dr. Ki does for her young patients. It is very important that our younger patients learn the correct way to take care of their teeth, as it will save them from other dental problems down the road.
- Cosmetic Dentistry – Teeth whitening and veneers are some of our more well-known cosmetic procedures, but Dr. Ki also offers crown lengthening, orthodontics (traditional and short-term), and gum reshaping.
- Restorative Dentistry – Dental implants are a major part of Dr. Ki’s restorative dental offerings. Other services include tooth fillings, root canals, and dental crowns and bridges.
Q: How often should I see Dr. Ki??
You should visit Dr. Ki every six months to receive a dental exam and cleaning. This gives Dr. Ki a chance to make sure that your teeth are healthy and that no problems have begun to spring up. If you do have an issue arise, Dr. Ki will be able to identify it early and then develop an effective treatment plan.
Q: Is flossing really important??
Yes, flossing is important. Without flossing, you will end up with biological matter and debris stuck in the crevices between your teeth. As that material breaks down, it will begin to harm your teeth and gums. This can easily lead to tooth decay and gum disease. We know it can feel awkward at first, but the more often you floss, the easier it will become.
Q: Is it normal for my gums to bleed after brushing??
No, bleeding from your gums is not normal, and in fact, it may indicate a potentially dangerous situation for your teeth. A common symptom of gingivitis are gums that bleed easily. If you are experiencing gums that are bleeding after you brush or floss, you should contact Dr. Ki today to schedule an appointment.
Q: What Can I Do About A Chipped Tooth??
Enamel is very strong, but you can chip it through an accident or injury. A chipped tooth needs restorative dentistry, as it looks unsightly and weakens the tooth as a whole. If you have a chipped tooth, call our Fairfax, VA dental office today. Dr. Ki is highly trained in two treatments for chipped teeth. Tooth bonding uses a tooth-colored material to fill in the chip, whereas dental crowns cover the whole tooth with a natural-looking cap.
Q: What is a dental bridge??
Dental implants are amazing at replacing lost teeth. But they do require oral surgery and a strong jawbone to hold the implant safely. Since not everyone can get a dental implant, Dr. Ki offers a nonsurgical solution to replacing teeth: a dental bridge. This holds a replacement tooth firmly in that gap but does not need any surgery or jawbone health. This also makes dental bridges more affordable.
If you have any other questions or would like to schedule an appointment, please call 703-552-2530 today. You can use our online form to ask questions or schedule your appointment also. One of us will be in touch shortly.
Not Your Children’s Braces! Adults can get straight, beautiful teeth in half the time. See how YOU can achieve a new smile in our FREE e-book.